Content Regulation & Censorship
LSKS attorneys counsel clients and litigate extensively in areas of law involving government regulation of commercial, political, and journalistic speech. Among other things, LSKS has:
- defended the press against unconstitutional prior restraints when litigants and government officials have tried to block broadcasts and publications;
- represented broadcasters in litigation over government policies that punish the dissemination of purportedly “indecent” content over the airwaves;
- successfully challenged judicial orders “gagging” trial participants;
- advised corporate clients on risks and liabilities associated with promotions and marketing activities such as telephone, email, fax, and direct-mail solicitations, sweepstakes and contests, and sponsorship and licensing agreements, all of which are subject to government regulation;
- represented various public interest organizations in connection with efforts to block public demonstrations and enjoin boycotts; and
- prosecuted a civil rights lawsuit against government officials who confiscated newspapers, through coordinated mass purchases, that contained unfavorable coverage.
LSKS attorneys regularly speak at international conferences, write, teach, and provide other services to advance the cause of free expression around the globe. For example, LSKS partner Lee Levine has provided expert opinions on the American law of free expression in Canadian and Irish courts, and other LSKS attorneys have provided counsel on laws and proposed legislation affecting the press in the United Kingdom, India, Moldova, Latvia, Romania, Jamaica, Albania, the Republic of Georgia, Azerbaijan, Iraq, Kuwait, Yemen, and other Persian Gulf countries.
To review a list of some of the noteworthy cases in which LSKS has defended our clients' content from being censored, regulated, and restrained, please click here.
Recent News About LSKS's Content Regulation & Censorship Practice
- Court Vacates Prior Restraint In Criminal Case Involving Juvenile
- POLITICO Fends Off Prior Restraint
- Beylkin Speaks About Censorship